QlikView Vs Qlik Sense – Which is Better BI Tool for 2019?
Qlik provides its customers with a wide range of products. Two such popular BI tools are QlikView and Qlik Sense. Some of you might be familiar with either or both tools. Here, we are going to discuss QlikView Vs Qlik Sense. Although, both the tools are business intelligence platforms and more or less serve the same purpose, there are certain things that make them distinctly different from each other.
Let us start out discussion on how QlikView is different from Qlik Sense and perhaps find which one is better Business Intelligence tool.
1. QlikView Vs Qlik Sense: Overview
Before we start the difference between QliView Vs QlikSense, we will discuss the introduction of these two terms.
i. What is Qlik View?
QlikView is a data analysis and visualization tool which enables users to fetch, integrate, process and analyze data from varied sources. We can use it for developing data models, analytical applications, dashboards, visualizations to create analytical reports and deliver it to end-users via Access point.
Through the access point, end-users can access data, carry out searches, create data models, associations, visualizations etc. to analyze data and discover data trends.
- Dynamic BI ecosystem (Interaction with dynamic apps and dashboards).
- Default and custom connectors
- Data visualizations
- Capable of building guided analytics applications and dashboards.
- Guided and advanced analytics
ii. What is Qlik Sense?
Qlik Sense is a self-service data discovery and analysis tool which focuses on ease of use for the user. It provides a modern and interactive user interface where you can use the tools for modeling and managing data, creating visualizations, layouts, and stories. It is not very technical in its approach and thus very user-friendly.
Features of Qlik Sense:
- Smart search options like Google and associative functions.
- Fast and reliable connections to multiple data sources.
- Drag and drop visualizations
- Generate personalized reports and detailed, interactive dashboards.
- Self-service data discovery
3. Difference Between QlikView and Qlik Sense
Let us start QlikView Vs Qlik Sense based on what features they do or do not provide.
i. OLAP functionality
QlikView provides Online Analytical Processing capabilities to perform analytical operations on the data whereas, Qlik Sense does not have OLAP functionality.
ii. ETL capabilities
Both Qlik Sense and QlikView provides Extract, Transform and Load (ELT) capabilities.
iii. Self-service visualizations
QlikView does not offer self-service visualization capabilities whereas Qlik Sense does.
iv. Guided analytics
QlikView provides guided analytics functionalities whereas Qlik Sense does not.
v. Filter requirements
Data filters are required in QlikView whereas, they are not needed in Qlik Sense.
vi. Data storytelling
Data storytelling is a feature unique to Qlik Sense and is not available in QlikView.
vii. Data mining & analytics
Data mining & analytics capabilities are provided in Qlik Sense only.
viii. Modern visualizations
Qlik Sense is known for its attractive as well as interactive user interface. Thus, Qlik Sense provides modern visualizations to represent data with an easy to use drag-and-drop functionality. Whereas, QlikView offers basic visualizations.
ix. Associative indexing engine
Both Qlik Sense and QlikView have a robust associative indexing engine (QIX Engine) at its core.
x. Mobile support
Both Qlik Sense and QlikView offers mobile compatibility. Qlik Sense has a mobile app and is supported by iOS 11.0 or later. Whereas, QlikView supports Apple Mobile Safari (iOS 10 or later) which is a browser support.
xii. Advanced analytics and integration
Qlik is working to provide efficient features and capabilities on advanced analytics and integration. However, better advanced analytics integration capabilities are offered in Qlik Sense than in QlikView.
xiii. Integrated app development environment
QlikView is a development-based tool as provides an integrated app development environment which is not so in Qlik Sense as it a visualization centric tool.
4. QlikView Vs Qlik Sense – Verdict
QlikView is more of a traditional, technical tool for shared business intelligence, data analytics and reporting. Whereas, Qlik Sense can be regarded as a modern data exploration platform. Although, both the tools are created on the same ground, which is to serve as a BI tool. They are distinct from each other in many ways.
So, instead of declaring a clear winner as to which tool is better, it is only fair to say that both the tools are useful for respective purposes. On one hand, where Qlik Sense might be more popular in the market for its sheer ease of use and simplicity as it is a self-service and data exploration (drag-and-drop functionality) tool which can be used by users of any caliber and skillset. While on the other hand, QlikView focuses more on application development and guided analytics and less on user interaction and responsiveness.
So, this makes the users or the need of the organization entirely responsible for which tool amongst the two (QlikView Vs Qlik Sense) is the best choice for them. If they want to perform technical operations and work with data on the ground level, then QlikView is the choice for you. And, if you wish to just design and create visually appealing data reports and dashboards, then Qlik Sense is the answer. Both of them can also be used simultaneously for the respective services they are good in providing at.
5. QlikView and Qlik Sense – Extra Points
Next, we take an elaborative dig at the matter and provide a detailed pointwise comparison.
- Data loading is slower in QlikView as compared to that in Qlik Sense.
- If using QlikView, organizations need to make an investment in recruiting specially trained QlikView developers. Whereas, in the case of Qlik Sense, there is no condition of being technically trained and skilled as Qlik Sense is more user-friendly in embedded analytics.
- Licensing and purchasing process is a little more complex for QlikView than for Qlik Sense.
- QlikView supports only English as a language whereas Qlik Sense supports English, Chinese, Japanese and German.
- The target customer size for QlikView is small, moderate and large industries whereas, for Qlik Sense it is small and moderate industries.
- QlikView offers greater and better control to developers over the design and control of applications thus, objects are more customizable. Whereas, Qlik Sense does not give users much customization and development options. Rather it is user-friendly and easy to use.
Qlik has kept its focus on developing and improving Qlik Sense as a tool, investing a large chunk of their time and resources on it. However, they are also dedicated to make QlikView a better product for the user base that still exist and serve them to their best of capabilities. Also, as the purpose behind both these BI tools was to give users a good and complete data visualization and analytic software, efforts are made by Qlik to decrease the seeming differences between the two and make them the best versions of them.
Still, have a doubt in QlikView Vs Qlik Sense? Feel to write us!