QlikView Version History – 8 Major Differences Between QlikView 11 and QlikView 12
As a BI tool, QlikView has come a long way over the past two decades of its existence. This article is our effort to shine some light on the history of QlikView and how it has continuously grown as a technology with each new version and update. Provided below are details of the QlikView versions that have ever existed. Along with this, we will see the major differences between QlikView 11 and QlikView 12.
Stay updated with latest technology trends
Join DataFlair on Telegram!!
QlikView Version History
Given below is a brief account of QlikView’s version history.
- In 1994, the first version of QlikView (Version 1.0) released. A maximum of 16,000 distinct values and 65,000 records can be loaded in the 16-bit application. There were no graphs available, only logical inferences could be drawn.
- Later in 1995, came the QlikView version 1.4 which was a 32-bit version and had graphs with calculative functionalities. It had a loading limitation of up to 2 gigabytes.
- In 1996, version 2.0 was released with added features like pivot tables, Multiple Document Interface (MDI) and Mac compatibility. As the versions 1.0 and 1.4 were only Microsoft compatible.
- In 1997, came version 3.0 with new QlikView features like MultiBox, TableBox, and AutoJoin.
- In 1998, the third version was upgraded to version 3.1x with an added feature of style prints.
- 1999, with version 4.0 came the functionality of client-server and a chart engine to process and distribute data and documents efficiently.
- In 2001, came the version 5.0 which had improvised graphics, an Input Box along with Unicode and XML file support.
- In 2003, version 6.0 was released which had an Itanium (IA 64-bit) core which removed the data loading limitations from the tool. Also, it supports web-based clients and multi-threading LEF.
- In 2005, came version 7.0 with an AMD x64 (64-bit core). It had AJAX support, QVD files, alerts, and a publisher.
- In 2006, an upgraded version of the seventh version was launched which was version 7.5. The added functionalities were calculated dimensions, QVD files, and functions like Aggr().
- In 2007, version 8.0 came with improved AJAX support, DMS, set analysis functionalities in QlikView. Then in 2008, version 8.5 was released.
- In 2009, version 9.0 released with AJAX support enabling application rendering on AJAX from where it can be used on a local device, mobile device or on the web. It was with this version that QlikView Personal edition was launched. Also, QlikView was made iPhone compatible.
- In 2010, with the release of version 10.0 support for AJAX Extension objects was given. Also, the functionality of load balancing was introduced.
- In 2011, version 11 was released with enhanced capabilities of AJAX alternate states, annotations and session collaboration. It focuses on enhancing functionalities in areas such as social business discovery, comparative analysis, enterprise platform, rapid analytic application platform, and mobile business discovery.
- In late 2012 and early 2013, the first service release (SR1) of the version 11.20 was made after a few rounds of testing and releasing beta versions. New updates in the 11.20 series were made till 2017 with the last service release being QlikView version 11.20 SR17. This version series focuses on enhancing capabilities of QlikView desktop, server, publisher, web components like Microsoft SharePoint, QlikView Workbench and clients expect for the mobile clients.
- Also, at the start of 2015, version 12.0 was released. New service releases were launched in later years, the last being version 12.0 SR5 in the year 2016. These versions improve on document log optimization for QlikView Publisher, QlikView Management Service, security, QlikView Distribution Service log etc. There are about 30 bug fixes also made in these versions.
- Then in the much recent years came the version 12.1 series which had nine (from version 12.1 SR1 to SR9) service releases spanning over years 2016 to 2018. With each 12.1 SR update, there a lot of bug fixes and made. Along with this, QlikView NPrinting 16.6 version compatibility is given and Qlik governance Dashboard 2.0.4. is launched.
- Finally, from the start of the year 2017 to the current year of 2019, a series of version 12.20 is continuing. This version has six service releases SR1, SR2, SR3, SR4, SR5 and the current one (released in end months of 2018) is version 12.20 SR6. Some of the highlighted features are IPv6 support, new QlikView Server Engine log file, performance log reloading, loading full tables from analytic connection plugs etc.
Difference Between QlikView 11 and QlikView 12
These are the major difference between Qlikview 11 and 12.
- Second-generation QIX engine (which also powers Qlik Sense).
- Better sharing between Qlik Sense and QlikView.
- Security enhancements in encryption, XML parsing, centralized client request handling.
- Improved mobile experience and platform support. You can do new activities like creating objects, move, copy or resize objects, change object properties, swipe to scroll, long press for “right click” menu, sending to Excel via mobile, and a new menu for additional options.
- Improved clustering i.e. more nodes per QlikView Server cluster thus, more users in a multi-node environment.
- New native connectors such as RESTful API, CMS systems offering direct connectivity with Twitter, Facebook, LinkedIn, Adobe, Alfresco, Documentum etc.
- Free/subscription-based service of data-as-a-service.
- Qlik Data Market integration
Thus, this was the complete account of QlikView versions right from the time it was launched to the latest date. If you want to keep a check on further Service Release updates and version releases, you can refer to the Qlik Community portal.
Hope, you liked this tutorial, you may also like to know about the system requirement for QlikView Version 11 and 12. Drop your queries and suggestion in the comment box.