Python Career Opportunities – Is it worth learning Python?
Python Career Opportunities – Which one will you choose?
The Next Big Thing to look up onto is Python and there is no doubt about that. Questions related to its worth, career opportunities or available jobs are not to be worried about. As Python is rapidly ceasing the popularity amongst developers and various other fields, its contribution to the advancement of your career is immense.
There are reasons why Python is “the one”. It is easily scripted language that can be learned quickly. Hence reducing the overall development time of the project code. It has a set of different libraries and APIs that support data analysis, data visualization, and data manipulation.
Before proceeding ahead, you must check the Python Career Path
Don't become Obsolete & get a Pink Slip
Follow DataFlair on Google News & Stay ahead of the game
Python Career Opportunities
Number of Python Jobs
While there’s a high demand for Python developers in India, the supply is really, really low. To testify this, we’ll take account of an HR professional statement. The professional was expected to recruit 10 programmers each for both Java and Python. About a hundred good resumes flooded in for Java, but they received only 8 good ones for Python. So, while they had to go through a long process to filter out good candidates, with Python, they had no choice but to take those 8 candidates.
What does this tell you about the situation? Even though Python has easy syntax, we really need more people in India to upskill themselves. This is what makes it a great opportunity for Indians to get skilled in python. When we talk about the number of jobs, there may not be too many for Python in India. But we have an excellent number of jobs per Python programmer.
Another good news about Python career –
Not very long ago, one of India’s unicorn software companies faced a dilemma. It had won a $200 million (Rs. 1200 crore) contract with a large US bank to develop an app store for them. But the company lacked enough dexterous Python programmers. Since Python was the best language for the project, it ended up paying thrice the billing amount to a group of freelance Python programmers in the US instead.
Job boards like Indeed and Naukri offer around 20,000 to 50,000 job listings for Python and this shows that Python career opportunities in India are High. Choosing Python to pursue your career is a good choice. The below stats shows the total job postings of the major programming languages.
Types of Python Jobs
So what types of jobs can you land with Python?
Well, for one, Python scope is intensive in data science and analysis. Clients often want hidden patterns extracted from their data pools. It is also preferred in machine learning and artificial intelligence. Data scientists love Python. Also, in our article on applications of Python, we read about how Python is used everywhere in web development, desktop applications, data science, and network programming.
Python Job Profiles
With Python on your resume, you may end up with one of the following positions in a reputed company:
1. Software Engineer
- Analyze user requirements
- Write and test code
- Write operational documentation
- Consult clients and work closely with other staff
- Develop existing programs
2. Senior Software Engineer
- Develop high-quality software architecture
- Automate tasks via scripting and other tools
- Review and debug code
- Perform validation and verification testing
- Implement version control and design patterns
3. DevOps Engineer
- Deploy updates and fixes
- Analyze and resolve technical issues
- Design procedures for maintenance and troubleshooting
- Develop scripts to automate visualization
- Deliver Level 2 technical support
4. Data Scientist
- Identify data sources and automate the collection
- Preprocess data & analyze it to discover trends
- Design predictive models and ML algorithms
- Perform data visualization
- Propose solutions to business challenges
5. Senior Data Scientist
- Supervise junior data analysts
- Build analytical tools to generate insight, discover patterns, and predict behavior
- Implement ML and statistics-based algorithms
- Propose ideas for leveraging possessed data
- Communicate findings to business partners
While many top companies are stuck with Java, Python is one of the old yet trending technologies. The future of Python is bright with :
1. Artificial Intelligence
Artificial Intelligence is the intelligence displayed by machines. This is in contrast to the natural intelligence displayed by humans and other animals. It is one of the new technologies taking over the world. When it’s about AI, Python is one of the first choices; in fact, it is one of the most-suited languages for it.
For this purpose, we have different frameworks, libraries, and tools dedicated to letting AI replace human efforts. Not only does it help with that, but it also raises efficiency and accuracy. AI gives us speech recognition systems, autonomous cars, etc.
The following tools and libraries ship for these branches of AI:
- Machine Learning – PyML, PyBrain, scikit-learn, MDP Toolkit, GraphLab Create, MIPy
- General AI – pyDatalog, AIMA, EasyAI, SimpleAI
- Neural Networks – PyAnn, pyrenn, ffnet, neurolab
- Natural Language and Text Processing – Quepy, NLTK, genism
2. Big Data
Big Data is the term for data sets so voluminous and complex that traditional data-processing application software is inadequate in dealing with them.
Python has helped Big Data grow, its libraries allow us to analyze and work with a large amount of data across clusters:
- GraphLab Create
Python also lets us configure routers and switches, and perform other network-automation tasks cost-effectively. For this, we have the following Python libraries:
- NAPALM(Network Automation and Programmability Abstraction Layer with Multivendor Support)
- Junos PyEZ
- Paramiko SSH
All these technologies rely on Python today and tomorrow.
Top Organizations Using Python
With its extreme popularity and powerfulness, Python is preferred by unicorns too:
The National Aeronautics and Space Administration uses Workflow Automation System (WAS), an application written and developed in Python. It was developed by NASA’s shuttle-support contractor USA (United Space Alliance).
NASA also uses Python for APOD (Astronomy Picture Of the Day), API, PyTransit, PyMDP Toolbox, EVEREST.
Who, on this Earth, lives and doesn’t know Google? We use it for everything – sometimes, even to find answers to life’s deepest questions. Google uses Python for its internal systems, and its APIs for report-generation, log analysis, A/Q and testing, and writing core search-algorithms.
This one reminds me of Nokia 3310, the pocket phone that could break a tile. Nokia makes use of PyS60 (Python for S60). It also uses PyMaemo (Python for Maemo) for its S60 (Symbian), and Maemo (Linux) software platforms.
An American multinational technology company headquartered in New York, IBM uses Python for its factory tool control applications.
5. Yahoo! Maps
Maps is an online mapping portal by Yahoo! It uses Python in many of its mapping lookup services and addresses.
6. Walt Disney Feature Animation
WDFA uses Python as a scripting language for animation. All the magic that happens in Disneyland has a bit of Python behind it.
These impressive salary numbers in Python are available at various job profiles too. According to PayScale, Python skills draw a salary of about $62,878 per year and more in the US. The figures get higher with increasing qualifications/ certifications and experience. It is one of the fastest-growing programming languages and the growth is steady without any threat. It has taken importance equal to that of Java, C, C++ and even more than these, currently and in the coming years. Large companies adopting Python for their server-based and small projects are boosting the demand for python.
- Software Engineer – $103,035/yr
- Sr. Software Engineer – $129,328/yr
- DevOps Engineer – $115,666/yr
- Data Scientist – $117,345/yr
- Sr. Data Scientist – $136,633/yr
So, after all this Python career opportunities talk, why should you learn Python? What has it to offer to you? What’s the scope of Python? Let’s see.
- Its simplicity and conciseness make it perfect for beginners.
- It has a large community that continuously contributes to its development.
- Because of the highly demand-supply ratio, it provides excellent career opportunities, especially in India.
- We have a number of frameworks to make web development easy as pie.
- Python is the preferred language for Artificial Intelligence and Machine Learning.
- Raspberry Pi, a microcomputer, lets us make our own DIYs with Python, at prices that do not blast holes in your pockets.
- Both startups and corporates, make extensive use of Python, thanks to its powerfulness and simplicity.
- Python has been consecutively topping the most loved programming language on the StackOverflow developers survey report.
- StackOverflow survey reports showed us that Python is the fastest growing language in high-income countries. IBM used the STL model to predict the future growth of major languages in 2020 and it seems Python is going to leave everyone behind.
Why is Python in demand?
According to expert research, there is a huge gap between demand and supply of python developers/experts across countries like India, the USA and more. As a result, the available python developers are paid thrice of that of actual salaries to fill the scarcity. This is an important lesson for all those who are doubting the career opportunities with python and also lacking a good hold in python. Expertise in python by gaining experience or even through online python certification training. It adds value to your resume and all-in-all to your overall career goal.
Don’t forget to check – Reasons for the increasing demand for Python
After knowing all the opportunities that Python holds, its good to know all the ins and out to it. Focus is always on skill first so that you stand out amongst others. They can be broken down as follows:
- Core Python (Basic knowledge between Python 2 and Python 3 is sufficient, complete knowledge of all modules is not required)
- Web Frameworks (Learn common Python frameworks such as Django or Pandas)
- Object-relational mappers (Ability to connect to the database with the help of ORM rather than SQL )
- Understand Multiprocess Architecture (Ability to write and manage threads for high-performance)
- RESTful APIs (understand how to use them and able to integrate components with them)
- Building Python Applications (One should know how to package up a code and deployment and release)
- Good communication and designing skills (Able to communicate well with members as well as implement servers that are scalable, secure and highly available)
This was all in the Python career opportunities article.
Python growth is very promising in the near future. Gaining the right skills through the right platform will get you to the perfect job. There are various available online certification training that can get to the desired skills in no time. From my side, I can recommend you a cost-effective, easy-to-learn Python Certified Course which can guide you into it. There is nothing to worry about the possibilities Python will open, you just need to pull your pants up and get things done!
Now that you know the doors Python can open up for you and what are the different career opportunities in Python, which one will you take? Let us know in the comments.
Also, if you have any confusion related to Python career opportunities, share in the comment section.