Python Career Opportunities – Python Job Profiles
1. Python Career Opportunities
We’ve been seeing a lot of Python every day here, but what is it all worth? Sure, Python is easy, and cool to learn, and powerful, but what do you get in return? To answer questions like these, we base today’s article on the Python Career Opportunities and Python Scope it gifts you. In this tutorial on Python Careers, we talk about India. Read on.
2. Number of Python Jobs
While there’s a high demand and career opportunities for Python developers in India, the supply is really, really low. To testify this, we’ll take account of an HR professional statement. The professional was expected to recruit 10 programmers each for both Java and Python for a few projects. About a hundred good resumes flooded in for Java, but they received only 8 good ones for Python. So, while they had to go through a long process to filter out good candidates, with Python, they had no choice but to take those 8 candidates.
What does this tell us about the situation? Even though Python has really easy syntax, we really need more people in India to consider it. But then, this is what makes it a great opportunity for an Indian with the skills. When we talk about the number of jobs, there may not be too many for Python in India. But we have an excellent number of jobs per Python programmer. This a good news about Python Careers
Not very long ago, one of India’s unicorn software companies faced a dilemma. It had won a $200 million (Rs. 1200 crore) contract with a large US bank to develop an app store for them. But the company lacked enough dexterous Python programmers. Since Python was the best language for the project, it ended up paying thrice the billing amount to a group of freelance Python programmers in the US instead.
Job boards like Indeed and Naukri offer around 20,000 to 50,000 job listings for Python and this shows that Python career opportunities in India are High. Python Careers are good to go with. The below screenshot from indeed job trends shows job trends in Python compared to other languages.
Source: Indeed Job Trends
3. Types of Python Jobs
So what types of jobs can you land with Python?
Well, for one, Python Scope is intensive use in data science and analysis. Clients often want hidden patterns extracted from their data pools. It is also preferred in Machine Learning and Artificial Intelligence. Data scientists love Python. Also, in our article on Applications of Python, we read about NumPy, SciPy, scikit-learn, pandas, IPython notebook. These are some useful libraries available for Python, and they let us explore the advanced areas of Python and different Python career opportunities.
a. Job Profiles:
With Python on your resume, you may end up with one of the following positions in a reputed company:
i. Software Engineer
- Analyze user requirements
- Write and test code
- Write operational documentation
- Consult clients and work closely with other staff
- Develop existing programs
ii. Senior Software Engineer
- Develop high-quality software architecture
- Automate tasks via scripting and other tools
- Review and debug code
- Perform validation and verification testing
- Implement version control and design patterns
iii. DevOps Engineer
- Deploy updates and fixes
- Analyze and resolve technical issues
- Design procedures for maintenance and troubleshooting
- Develop scripts to automate visualization
- Deliver Level 2 technical support
iv. Data Scientist
- Identify data sources and automate collection
- Preprocess data & analyze it to discover trends
- Design predictive models and ML algorithms
- Perform data visualization
- Propose solutions to business challenges
v. Senior Data Scientist
- Supervise junior data analysts
- Build analytical tools to generate insight, discover patterns, and predict behavior
- Implement ML and statistics-based algorithms
- Propose ideas for leveraging possessed data
- Communicate findings to business partners
4. Future of Python
In our write-up on Applications of Python, we saw where Python finds its use. But what about the future? While many top companies are stuck with Java, Python is one of the new technologies. The future is bright for Python with:
a. Artificial Intelligence
Artificial Intelligence is the intelligence displayed by machines. This is in contrast to the natural intelligence displayed by humans and other animals. It is one of the new technologies taking over the world. When it’s about AI, Python is one of the first choices; in fact, it is one of the most-suited languages for it.
For this purpose, we have different frameworks, libraries, and tools dedicated to let AI replace human efforts. Not only does it help with that, but it also raises efficiency and accuracy. AI gives us speech recognition systems, autonomous cars, and so. The following tools and libraries ship for these branches of AI:
- Machine Learning- PyML, PyBrain, scikit-learn, MDP Toolkit, GraphLab Create, MIPy
- General AI- pyDatalog, AIMA, EasyAI, SimpleAI
- Neural Networks- PyAnn, pyrenn, ffnet, neurolab
- Natural Language and Text Processing- Quepy, NLTK, genism
b. Big Data
Big Data is the term for data sets so voluminous and complex that traditional data-processing application software are inadequate in dealing with them.
Python has helped Big Data grow, its libraries allow us to analyze large amount of data across clusters:
- GraphLab Create
Python also lets us configure routers and switches, and lets us perform other network-automation tasks cost-effectively. For this, we have the following libraries:
- NAPALM(Network Automation and Programmability Abstraction Layer with Multivendor Support)
- Junos PyEZ
- Paramiko SSH
All these technologies rely on Python today and tomorrow.
5. Top Organizations Using Python
With its extreme popularity and powerfulness, Python is preferred by unicorns too:
The National Aeronautics and Space Administration uses Workflow Automation System (WAS), an application written and developed in Python. It was developed by NASA’s shuttle-support contractor USA (United Space Alliance).
NASA also uses Python for APOD(Astronomy Picture Of the Day), API, PyTransit, PyMDP Toolbox, EVEREST.
Who, on this Earth, lives and doesn’t know Google? We use it for everything- sometimes, even to find answers to life’s deepest questions. Google uses Python for its internal systems, and its APIs for report-generation, log analysis, A/Q and testing, and writing core search-algorithms.
This one reminds me of Nokia 3310, that pocket phone that could break a tile. Nokia makes use of PyS60 (Python for S60). It also uses PyMaemo(Python for Maemo) for its S60(Symbian), and Maemo(Linux) software platforms.
An American multinational technology company headquartered in New York, IBM uses Python for its factory tool control applications.
e. Yahoo! Maps
Maps is an online mapping portal by Yahoo! It uses Python in many of its mapping lookup services and addresses.
f. Walt Disney Feature Animation
WDFA uses Python as a scripting language for animation. All the magic that happens in Disneyland has a bit of Python behind it.
6. Payscale in Python
In section 4, we saw a rough approximate of how much a Python professional makes. In section 3, we saw some job profiles. So, how does each profile fair in this department?
- Software Engineer – $103,035/yr
- Sr. Software Engineer – $129,328/yr
- DevOps Engineer – $115,666/yr
- Data Scientist – $117,345/yr
- Sr. Data Scientist – $136,633/yr
These statistics have been sourced from payscale.com and indeed.com.
7. Why Must You Learn Python
So, after all this Python career opportunities talk, why must you learn Python? What has it to offer to you? What is the cope of Python? Let’s see.
- Its simplicity and conciseness make it perfect for beginners.
- It has a large community that continuously contributes to its development.
- Because of the highly demand-supply ratio, it provides excellent career opportunities, especially in India.
- We have a number of frameworks to make web development easy as pie.
- Python is the chosen language for Artificial Intelligence and Machine Learning.
- Raspberry Pi, a microcomputer, lets us make our own DIYs with Python, at prices that do not blast holes in your pockets.
- Both startups and corporates, make extensive use of Python, thanks to its powerfulness and simplicity.
- Python replaced Java as the second-most popular language on GitHub, with 40 percent more pull requests opened this year than last.
Source: GitHub –The State of the Octoverse 2017
So, this was all about our blog post on Python Career Opportunities
8. Conclusion: Python Scope
Now that you know what doors Python can open for you and what are the different Python Career opportunities, which one will you take? Let us know in the comments.
Want to crack your upcoming Python Interviews? – Practice Most Asked Python Interview Questions
If you have any question on Python Career Opportunities, please drop a comment.