Python Applications – Unleash the power of Python
Since the last few days, I was continuously thinking why Python is one of the most used programming languages on this planet? Then I started researching on it at different platforms, and can you guess what I found after my research?
Python is the most versatile language in the programming world, and it has applications in various domains. It helps us in taking care of our current programming task as well as lets us focus on the core functionality of Python programming languages.
Talking about this Python applications tutorial, it will help both beginners and intermediates in learning and polishing their coding skills.
Don't become Obsolete & get a Pink Slip
Follow DataFlair on Google News & Stay ahead of the game
Applications of Python
These are some real-world Python applications:
- Web and Internet Development
- Desktop GUI Applications
- Science and Numeric
- Software Development
- Database Access
- Network Programming
- Games and 3D Graphics
Let’s discuss each of them in detail:
1. Web and Internet Development
Python lets you develop a web application without too much trouble. It has libraries for internet protocols like HTML and XML, JSON, e-mail processing, FTP, IMAP, and easy-to-use socket interface. Yet, the package index has more libraries:
- Requests – An HTTP client library
- BeautifulSoup – An HTML parser
- Feedparser – For parsing RSS/Atom feeds
- Paramiko – For implementing the SSH2 protocol
- Twisted Python – For asynchronous network programming
We also have a gamut of frameworks available. Some of these are- Django, Pyramid. We also get microframeworks like flask and bottle. We’ve discussed these in our write-up on an Introduction to Python Programming. We can also write CGI scripts, and we get advanced content management systems like Plone and Django CMS.
Most binary distributions of Python ship with Tk, a standard GUI library. It lets you draft a user interface for an application. Apart from that, some toolkits are available:
- Kivy – for writing multitouch applications
- Qt via pyqt or pyside
And then we have some platform-specific toolkits:
- Microsoft Foundation Classes through the win32 extensions
3. Science and Numeric Applications
This is one of the widespread applications of Python programming. With its power, it comes as no surprise that Python finds its place in the scientific community. For this, we have:
- SciPy – A collection of packages for mathematics, science, and engineering.
- Pandas– A data-analysis and -modeling library
- IPython – A powerful shell for easy editing and recording of work sessions. It also supports visualizations and parallel computing.
- Also, NumPy enables us to deal with complex numerical calculations.
4. Software Development
Software developers make use of Python as a support language. They use it for build-control and management, testing, and for a lot of other things:
- SCons – for build-control
- Buildbot, Apache Gump – for automated and continuous compilation and testing
- Roundup, Trac – for project management and bug-tracking.
- The roster of Integrated Development Environments
Thanks to its simplicity, brevity, and large community, Python makes for a great introductory programming language. Applications of Python programming in education has a huge scope as it is a great language to teach in schools or even learn on your own.
Python is also a great choice to develop ERP and e-commerce systems:
- Tryton – A three-tier, high-level, general-purpose application platform.
- Odoo – A management software with a range of business applications. With that, it’s an all-rounder and forms a complete suite of enterprise-management applications in-effect.
7. Database Access
With Python, you have:
- Custom and ODBC interfaces to MySQL, Oracle, PostgreSQL, MS SQL Server, and others. These are freely available for download.
- Object databases like Durus and ZODB
- Standard Database API
8. Network Programming
With all those possibilities, how would Python slack in network programming? It does provide support for lower-level network programming:
- Twisted Python – A framework for asynchronous network programming. We mentioned it in section 2.
- An easy-to-use socket interface
9. Games and 3D Graphics
Safe to say, this one is the most interesting. When people hear someone say they’re learning Python, the first thing they get asked is – ‘So, did you make a game yet?’
PyGame, PyKyra are two frameworks for game development with Python. Apart from this, we also get a variety of 3D-rendering libraries.
If you’re one of those game-developers, you can check out PyWeek, a semi-annual game programming contest.
10. Artificial Intelligence and Machine Learning
The IT industry went far beyond science fiction ideas, and our future is moving towards Artificial Intelligence. People are keen to move to technologies where machines can mimic human behaviors, and machines are automating most of the human work. There is also a need to process and analyze huge volumes of data.
Statistically speaking that Python is the most popular language for Artificial intelligence and Machine Learning.
The several libraries and frameworks for Artificial intelligence are listed below.
Programming in Python is easy when you compare it with other languages. It has easy syntax and it offers concise solutions for implementing all types of functionalities. This is the main reason why Python can be applied in prototyping stages of software development.
With many functionalities to offer, Python lets you develop a prototype of applications faster. Many organizations and firms use Python at the prototyping stage of a project.
Other Python Applications
These are some of the major Python Applications. Apart from what we just discussed, it still finds use in more places:
- Console-based Applications
- Audio or Video-based Applications
- Applications for Images
- Enterprise Applications
- 3D CAD Applications
- Computer Vision (Facilities like face-detection and color-detection)
- Machine Learning
- Web Scraping (Harvesting data from websites)
- Artificial Intelligence
- Data Analysis (The Hottest of Python Applications)
Now we know Python is everywhere and we have seen this in DataFlair’s Python Applications article. Moreover, we learned that the applications of Python lets us develop a web application without too much trouble; it helps to draft a user interface for an application.
And not so surprising that Python finds its place in the scientific community. We have also seen its application in education and business. We have learned how Python slack in network programming as well as we have thrown light on some more Python applications.
Time to see the reasons behind the limelight of Python in the healthcare sector.
If you liked our Python applications article, share it with your friends.