Python Applications – 9 Real World Applications of Python Programming
1. Python Applications
Let’s discuss python applications to that python can accomplish in the world. In this applications of Python programming tutorial, you will know about 9 applications of Python Lets go through these Python applications one by one.
We’ve been learning Python programming over the last two months and we’ve learned quite some useful stuff. But when you can see what you can do with something, it feels powerful. It lends you some actual motivation to keep going.
So, let’s start Python Applications.
2. Web and Internet Development
Python lets you develop a web application without too much trouble. It has libraries for internet protocols like HTML and XML, JSON, e-mail processing, FTP, IMAP, and easy-to-use socket interface. Yet, the package index has more libraries:
- Requests – An HTTP client library
- BeautifulSoup – An HTML parser
- Feedparser – For parsing RSS/Atom feeds
- Paramiko – For implementing the SSH2 protocol
- Twisted Python – For asynchronous network programming
We also have a gamut of frameworks available. Some of these are- Django, Pyramid. We also get microframeworks like flask and bottle. We’ve discussed these in our write-up on an Introduction to Python Programming.
We can also write CGI scripts, and we get advanced content management systems like Plone and Django CMS.
3. Applications of Python Programming in Desktop GUI
Most binary distributions of Python ship with Tk, a standard GUI library. It lets you draft a user interface for an application. Apart from that, some toolkits are available:
- Kivy – for writing multitouch applications
- Qt via pyqt or pyside
And then we have some platform-specific toolkits:
- Microsoft Foundation Classes through the win32 extensions
4. Science and Numeric Applications
This is one of the very common applications of python programming. With its power, it comes as no surprise that python finds its place in the scientific community. For this, we have:
- SciPy – A collection of packages for mathematics, science, and engineering.
- Pandas- A data-analysis and -modeling library
- IPython – A powerful shell for easy editing and recording of work sessions. It also supports visualizations and parallel computing.
- Software Carpentry Course – It teaches basic skills for scientific computing and running bootcamps. It also provides open-access teaching materials.
- Also, NumPy lets us deal with complex numerical calculations.
5. Software Development Application
Software developers make use of python as a support language. They use it for build-control and management, testing, and for a lot of other things:
- SCons – for build-control
- Buildbot, Apache Gump – for automated and continuous compilation and testing
- Roundup, Trac – for project management and bug-tracking.
- Roster of Integrated Development Environments
6. Python Applications in Education
Thanks to its simplicity, brevity, and large community, Python makes for a great introductory programming language. Applications of python programming in education has huge scope as it is a great language to teach in schools or even learn on your own.
If you still haven’t begun, we suggest you read up on what we have to say about the white and dark sides of Python. Also, check out Python Features.
7. Python Applications in Business
Python is also a great choice to develop ERP and e-commerce systems:
- Tryton – A three-tier, high-level general-purpose application platform.
- Odoo – A management software with a range of business applications. With that, it’s an all-rounder and forms a complete suite of enterprise-management applications in-effect.
8. Database Access
This is one of the hottest Python Applications.
With Python, you have:
- Custom and ODBC interfaces to MySQL, Oracle, PostgreSQL, MS SQL Server, and others. These are freely available for download.
- Object databases like Durus and ZODB
- Standard Database API
9. Network Programming
With all those possibilities, how would Python slack in network programming? It does provide support for lower-level network programming:
- Twisted Python – A framework for asynchronous network programming. We mentioned it in section 2.
- An easy-to-use socket interface
10. Games and 3D Graphics
Safe to say, this one is the most interesting. When people hear someone say they’re learning Python, the first thing they get asked is – ‘So, did you make a game yet?’
PyGame, PyKyra are two frameworks for game-development with Python. Apart from these, we also get a variety of 3D-rendering libraries.
If you’re one of those game-developers, you can check out PyWeek, a semi-annual game programming contest.
11. Other Python Applications
These are some of the major Python Applications. Apart from what we just discussed, it still finds use in more places:
- Console-based Applications
- Audio – or Video- based Applications
- Applications for Images
- Enterprise Applications
- 3D CAD Applications
- Computer Vision (Facilities like face-detection and color-detection)
- Machine Learning
- Web Scraping (Harvesting data from websites)
- Artificial Intelligence
- Data Analysis (The Hottest of Python Applications)
This was all about the Python Applications Tutorial. If you like this tutorial on applications of Python programming comment below.
Why should you Learn python? Refer this link to get your answer.
Ready to install Python? Refer this link Python Installation
12. Conclusion – Python Applications
Python is everywhere and now that we know python Applications. We can do with it, we feel more powerful than ever. If there’s a unique project you’ve made in the Python language.
Share your experience with us in the comments. You can also share your queries regarding Python Application tutorial.