Power BI Troubleshooting – Installation, Data Source & Report
Stay updated with latest technology trends
Join DataFlair on Telegram!!
In our last tutorial, we discussed Power BI Premium Capacity. Now, we are going explore Power BI Troubleshooting Tutorial. Moreover, we will learn different issues faced in Power BI like Common issues, Installation, Data sources, Reports, and Firewall or Proxy.
So, let’s start Power BI Troubleshooting Tutorial.
2. Power BI Troubleshooting
A considerable measure of issues can surface when the portal variant is outdated. It is a decent broad practice to ensure you are on the most recent rendition. On the off chance that you haven’t refreshed the passage for multi-month or more, you might need to consider introducing the most recent rendition of the portal and check whether you can imitate the issue.
3. Types of Power BI Troubleshooting
a. Power BI Troubleshooting – Normal Issues
Here are a couple of normal issues and resolutions that have helped various clients in conditions that limit web get to.
i. Confirmation to an Intermediary Server
Your intermediary may require confirmation from an area client account. As a matter of course, the passage utilizes a Service SID for the windows benefit sign on a client. Changing the sign on a client to a space client can help with this.
Do you know about Power BI Free vs Pro (Paid)?
ii. Your Intermediary just Permits Ports 80 and 443 Movement
A few intermediaries limit activity to just ports 80 and 443. As a matter of course, correspondence to Azure Service Bus will happen on ports other than 443.
You can compel the portal to speak with Azure Service Bus utilizing HTTPS rather than coordinate TCP. You should alter the Microsoft.PowerBI.DataMovement.Pipeline.GatewayCore.dll.config record. Change the incentive from AutoDetect to Https. This document is situated, of course, at C:\Program Files\On-premises information door.
<setting name="ServiceBusSystemConnectivityModeString" serializeAs="String"> <value>Https</value> </setting>
b. Power BI Troubleshooting – Installation
i. Failed to add a user to a group.
Failed to add a user to a group (- 2147463168 PBIEgwService Performance Log Users). You may get this error on the off chance that you are attempting to introduce the entryway on a space controller. Sending on an area controller isn’t bolstered. You should convey the door on a machine that isn’t an area controller.
ii. Installation falls flat
You may experience establishment disappointments if the counter infection programming on the establishment machine is obsolete. You can either refresh the counter infection establishment or incapacitate hostile to infection just for the length of the passage establishment to finish, at that point re-empower against infection.
c. Power BI Troubleshooting – Information Sources
i. Error: 1
Unable to Connect. Points of interest: “Invalid association certifications”
Inside Show subtle elements, it should show the error message got from the information source.
Login fizzled for client ‘username’.
Check that you have the right username and secret word. Likewise, confirm that those qualifications can effectively associate with the information source. Ensure the record being utilized matches the Authentication Method.
Follow this link to know How to Shape and Join Information in Power BI Desktop
ii. Error: 2
Unable to Connect. Points of interest: “Can’t interface with the database”
We could interface with the server, yet not to the database provided. Confirm the name of the database, and that the client qualification as the best possible consent to get to that database.
Show points of interest, it should show the error message got from the information source. For SQL Server, you should see something like the accompanying.
Can’t open database “AdventureWorks” asked for by the login. The login fizzled. Login fizzled for client ‘username’.
iii. Error: 3
Unable to Connect. Points of interest: “Obscure error in information portal”
This error could happen for various reasons. Make sure to approve that you can associate with the information source from the machine facilitating the portal. This could be the consequence of the server not being open.
Inside Show subtle elements, you will see an error code of DM_GWPipeline_UnknownError.
You can likewise look in the Event Logs > Applications and Services Logs > On-premises information portal Service for more points of interest.
d. Power BI Troubleshooting – Reports
A report couldn’t get to the information source since you don’t approach our information source by means of an On-premises information entryway.
This is typically caused by one of the accompanyings.
The information source data does not coordinate what is in the fundamental dataset. The server and database name need to coordinate between the information source characterized by the On-premises information passage and what you supply inside Power BI Desktop. On the off chance that you utilize an IP Address in Power BI Desktop, the information source, for the On-premises information door, needs to utilize an IP Address also.
There isn’t an information source accessible on any passage inside your association. You can arrange the information source on another, or exist, On-premises information passage.
Have a look – How to Use Analytics Pane in Power BI Desktop?
i. Error: Data source gets to blunder. It would be ideal if you contact the portal overseer.
On the off chance that this report is making utilization of a live Analysis Services association, you could be experiencing an issue with an esteem being passed to EffectiveUserName that is either not substantial or doesn’t have consents on the Analysis Services machine. Normally, a validation issue is because of the way that the esteem being passed for EffectiveUserName doesn’t coordinate a nearby client key name (UPN).
To affirm this, you can do the accompanying.
Locate the powerful username inside the passage logs.
When you have the esteem being passed, approve that it is right. On the off chance that it is your client, you can utilize the accompanying charge from a summon provoke to perceive what the UPN ought to be. The UPN will resemble an email address.
Alternatively, you can perceive what Power BI gets from Azure Active Directory.
Peruse to https://developer.microsoft.com/chart/diagram wayfarer.
Select Sign in the upper right.
Run the accompanying inquiry. You will see a fairly substantial JSON reaction.
Search for userPrincipalName.
In the event that your Azure Active Directory UPN doesn’t coordinate your nearby Active Directory UPN, you can utilize the Map client names highlight to supplant it with a substantial esteem. Or on the other hand, you can work with either your occupant administrator or neighbourhood Active Directory administrator, to get your UPN changed.
e. Power BI Troubleshooting – Firewall or Proxy
For data on giving intermediary data to your door.
You can test to check whether your firewall or intermediary, might square associations by running Test-NetConnection from a PowerShell incite. This will test network to the Azure Service Bus. This exclusive tests arrange network and don’t have anything to do with the cloud server benefit or the passage. It decides whether your machine can really get out to the web.
Test-NetConnection – ComputerName watchdog.servicebus.windows.net – Port 9350
Note – Test-NetConnection is just accessible on Windows Server 2012 R2 and later. It is likewise accessible on Windows 8.1 and later. On prior OS variants, you can utilize Telnet to test port network.
The outcomes should appear to be like the accompanying. The distinction will be with TcpTestSucceeded. In the event that TcpTestSucceeded isn’t valid, at that point, you might be obstructed by a firewall.
InterfaceAlias: vEthernet (Broadcom NetXtreme Gigabit Ethernet – Virtual Switch)
PingReplyDetails (RTT): 0 ms
In the event that you need to be comprehensive, substitute the ComputerName and Port qualities with those recorded for ports.
Follow this link to know Data Sources for Power BI Benefit (Services)
The firewall may likewise be obstructing the associations that the Azure Service Bus makes to the Azure server farms. On the off chance that that is the situation, you will need to whitelist (unblock) the IP addresses for your area for those server farms. You can get a rundown of Azure IP addresses here.
You can discover the server farm district you are in by doing the accompanying:
- Select the ? in the upper right of the Power BI benefit.
- Select About Power BI.
- Your information locale will be recorded in your information is put away in.
On the off chance that you are still not getting anyplace, you could take a stab at getting a system to follow utilizing a device like a fiddler or netsh, in spite of the fact that these are propelled accumulation strategies and you may require help with examining the gathered information. You can contact bolster for help.
f. Power BI Troubleshooting – Performance
i. Performance Counters
There are various Performance counters that can be utilized to measure the exercises for the passage. These can useful for comprehension on the off chance that we have an expansive heap of action and may need to make another door. These counters won’t reflect what extent something takes.
These counters can access through the Windows Performance Monitor instrument.
There are general groupings of these counters.
Counter Type Description
- ADO.NET This is utilized for any DirectQuery association.
- ADOMD This is utilized for Analysis Services 2014 and prior.
- OLEDB This is utilized by specific information sources. This incorporates SAP HANA and Analysis Service 2016 or later.
Mashup This incorporates any foreign made information source. In the event that you are planning to invigorate or completing an on-request revive, it will experience the mashup motor.
Here is a posting of the accessible Performance counters.
Do you know about Power BI Archived Workspace?
ii. Counter Description
- # of ADO.NET open association executed/sec Number of ADO.NET open association activities executed every second (succeeded or fizzled).
- # of ADO.NET open association fizzled/sec Number of ADO.NET open associations activities fizzled every second.
- # of ADO.NET inquiries executed/sec Number of ADO.NET questions executed every second (succeeded or fizzled).
- # of ADO.NET inquiries fizzled/sec Number of ADO.NET fizzled questions executed every second.
- # of ADOMD open association executed/sec Number of ADOMD open association activities executed every second (succeeded or fizzled).
- # of ADOMD open association fizzled/sec Number of ADOMD open association activities fizzled every second.
- # of ADOMD inquiries executed/sec Number of ADOMD questions executed every second (succeeded or fizzled).
- # of ADOMD inquiries fizzled/sec Number of ADOMD fizzled questions executed every second.
- # of all open association executed/sec Number of open association activities executed every second (succeeded or fizzled).
- # of all open association fizzled/sec Number of fizzled open association activities executed every second.
- # of all inquiries executed/sec Number of questions executed every second (succeeded or fizzled).
- # of things in the ADO.NET association pool Number of things in the ADO.NET association pool.
- # of things in the OLEDB association pool Number of things in the OLEDB association pool.
- # of things in the Service Bus pool Number of things in the Service Bus pool.
- # of Mashup open association executed/sec Number of Mashup open association activities executed every second (succeeded or fizzled).
- # of Mashup open association fizzled/sec Number of Mashup open association activities fizzled every second.
- # of Mashup questions executed/sec Number of Mashup inquiries executed every second (succeeded or fizzled).
- # of Mashup questions fizzled/sec Number of Mashup fizzled inquiries executed every second
- # of the different outcome set OLEDB questions fizzled/sec Number of numerous resultset OLEDB fizzled inquiries executed every second.
- # of OLEDB various resultset questions executed/sec Number of OLEDB different resultset inquiries executed every second (succeeded or fizzled).
- # of OLEDB open association executed/sec Number of OLEDB open association activities executed every second (succeeded or fizzled).
- # of OLEDB open association fizzled/sec Number of OLEDB open association activities fizzled every second.
- # of OLEDB inquiries executed/sec Number of OLEDB numerous resultset questions executed every second (succeeded or fizzled).
- # of OLEDB inquiries fizzled/sec Number of OLEDB mutiple resultset fizzled questions executed every second.
- # of OLEDB single resultset inquiries executed/sec Number of OLEDB single resultset questions executed every second (succeeded or fizzled).
- # of inquiries fizzled/sec Number of fizzled questions executed every second.
- # of the single outcome set OLEDB questions fizzled/sec Number of single resultset OLEDB fizzled inquiries executed every second.
So, this was all about Power BI Troubleshooting Tutorial. Hope you like our explanation.
Hence, in this Power BI Troubleshooting tutorial, we learned about the different troubleshooter of Power BI in detail. In our next tutorial, we will discuss some Power BI issues like – Setup issues and Performance issues. Furthermore, if you have any query, share with us!
Related Topic – Power BI Components