- 1. Objective
- 2. What is Power BI Slicer?
- 3. When to Utilize a Slicer in Power BI?
- 4. How to Create Power BI Slicer?
- 5. Visuals are Influenced by Slicers in Power BI
- 6. How to Synchronize and Utilize Slicers in Power BI
- 7. Organization Slicers
- 8. Choice Controls Alternatives
- 8. Conclusion
In our last tutorial, we studied Power BI Conditional Formatting. In this Power BI Slicer tutorial, we will discuss, when to use a Power slicer & how to Create slicers in Power BI. Moreover, we will study visuals are affected by slicers and sync and use slicers on other pages. At last, we will cover how to format slicers in Power BI.
So, let’s start Power BI Slicer Tutorial.
2. What is Power BI Slicer?
You need your report perusers to have the capacity to take a gander at general deals measurements, yet additionally, feature execution for singular District Managers and diverse time spans. You could make isolate reports or relative diagrams, or you could utilize slicers. A Power BI slicer is a substitute method for sifting that limits the segment of the dataset appeared in alternate representations in a report.
This instructional exercise utilizes the free Retail Analysis Sample to walk you through making, arranging, and utilizing rundown and date extend slicers. Have a great time finding approaches to configuration and utilize slicers in Power BI.
3. When to Utilize a Slicer in Power BI?
Power BI Slicer, an extraordinary decision when you need to:
- Show regularly utilized or critical channels on the report canvas for simpler access.
- Make it less demanding to see the current sifted state without opening a drop-down rundown.
- Channel by segments that are unneeded and covered up in the information tables.
- Make more engaged reports by putting slicers alongside essential visuals.
Power BI slicers have the accompanying restrictions:
- Power BI Slicer doesn’t bolster include fields.
- Slicers can’t be stuck to a dashboard.
- Drill-down isn’t upheld for slicers.
- Slicers don’t bolster visual level channels.
4. How to Create Power BI Slicer?
To make another Power BI slicer, you can choose the slicer symbol and afterward select the information field to channel on (or drag it to the Fields confine the Visualizations sheet), or you can choose or drag the information field initially to make a perception, and afterward select the slicer symbol to transform the representation into a slicer. Distinctive information composes make diverse sorts of slicers, with various impacts and alternatives.
The first occasion when you change a report, the catch for reset to default illuminates. This is an update that you’ve rolled out an improvement to the first report settings. On the off chance that you explore far from the report, that change is spared (holds on). When you come back to the report you don’t need to re-cut the report. In any case, in the event that you’d get a kick out of the chance to reset the answer to the creator’s default settings, select the Reset to default catch from the best menubar.
Note – On the off chance that your Reset to default catch stays impaired, it either implies the report creator has handicapped the element for the report or the report contains a custom visual. Just drift over the catch to peruse the tooltip for a clarification.
a. Channel Information by District Manager
Here, we are going to create Power BI Slicer to channel information by District Manager.
- In Power BI Desktop or Power BI benefit, open the Retail Analysis Sample. (In Power BI benefit, select Edit Report at upper left.)
- On the overview page, with nothing chose on the canvas, select the Slicer symbol slicer symbol in the Visualizations sheet to make another slicer.
- With the new slicer chose, select District Manager under District in the Fields sheet to populate the slicer. The new slicer is a rundown with determination boxes before the names.
- Resize and drag the slicer and different components on the canvas to account for the slicer. Note that the slicer things are cut off in the event that you resize the slicer too little.
- Select names on the slicer and note the impacts on alternate perceptions on the page. Select names again to deselect them, and hold down the Ctrl key to choose in excess of one name. Choosing all names has an indistinguishable impact from choosing none.
Tip – Rundown slicer things are arranged in climbing alphanumerical request as a matter of course. To turn around the sort request to dropping, select the circles (…) in the upper right corner of the Power BI slicer and pick Sort by District Manager in the drop-down rundown.
b. Channel Information by Date Extend
Creating another Power BI Slicer to channel information by date extend.
- With nothing chose on the canvas, drop down Time in the Fields sheet, and drag Month (or Date in Power BI benefit) to the Values enclose the Visualizations sheet to make another representation.
- With the new representation chose, select the Slicer symbol to change over the new perception to a slicer. This slicer is a slider control with the date extends populated.
Resize and drag the slicer and different components on the canvas to account for the Power BI slicer. Note that the slider resizes with the slicer measure. However, it vanishes and the dates are cut off in the event that you resize the slicer too little.
- Select distinctive date ranges with the slider, or select a date field to type in an esteem or fly up a logbook for more exact choice. Note the impacts on alternate representations on the page.
Note – Numeric and date/time information composes deliver run slider slicers of course. Beginning with the February 2018 Power BI refresh, entire number information compose extend sliders presently snap to entire number qualities instead of demonstrating decimal spots.
5. Visuals are Influenced by Slicers in Power BI
As a matter of course, Power BI slicer on report pages influence the various representations on that page, including each other. As you pick esteems in the rundown and date sliders you just made, take note of the consequences for alternate perceptions. The sifted information is a crossing point of the qualities chose in the two slicers.
You can utilize Visual cooperations to avoid some page perceptions from being influenced by others. On the Overview page, the “Aggregate Sales Variance by FiscalMonth and District Manager” graph indicates general near information for District Managers by Month, which you need to keep unmistakable consistently. You can utilize Visual associations to shield slicer choices from separating this diagram.
- With the District Manager slicer chose:
- Under Visual tools, select Format menu in Power BI Desktop and also select Edit associations.
- In Power BI benefit, drop down Visual associations from the menu bar and turn on Edit Connections.
Channel controls channel controls show up over the various visuals on the page. At first, all the Filter symbols are chosen.
- By Fiscal month and District Manager graph, select none symbol over the sales variance (total), influence the Power BI Slicer to quit separating it.
- Select the Month slicer, and again select the None symbol over the Total Sales Variance by FiscalMonth and District Manager graph to influence this slicer to quit sifting it. Presently, as you select names and date goes in the slicers, the Total Sales Variance by FiscalMonth and District Manager outline is unaltered.
See Visual cooperations in a Power BI report for more data about altering communications.
6. How to Synchronize and Utilize Slicers in Power BI
Beginning with the February 2018 Power BI refresh, you can synchronize a slicer and utilize it on any or all pages in a report.
In the present report, the District Monthly Sales page additionally has a District Manager slicer, yet it isn’t synchronized with the one you made on the Overview page (the two slicers can have distinctive thing determinations). The New Stores page has just a Store Name slicer. You can match up your new District Manager slicer to these pages, with the goal that slicer determinations on any page influence perceptions on each of the three pages.
- On the View menu, select Sync slicers in Power BI Desktop (or turn on Sync slicers sheet in Power BI benefit). The Sync Slicers sheet shows up.
- On the Overview page, select the District Manager slicer. Note that the District Monthly Sales page is as of now chose in the Visible section, in light of the fact that there is additionally a District Manager slicer on that page, however it isn’t chosen in the Sync segment.
- In the Sync segment, select the New Stores page and the District Monthly Sales page to synchronize the Overview slicer to those pages.
- In the Visible segment, select the New Stores page and leave the District Monthly Sales page chose.
- Watch the impacts of matching up the slicer and making it obvious on alternate pages. On the District Monthly Sales page, the District Manager slicer presently demonstrates an indistinguishable choice from the one on the Overview page. On the New Stores page, the choices in the District Manager slicer influence the determinations that are accessible in the Store Name slicer.
Tip – Despite the fact that the slicer at first shows up on the matched up pages at an indistinguishable size and position from on the first page, you can move, resize, and arrange synchronized slicers on the different pages freely.
Note – On the off chance that you synchronize a slicer to a page. However, don’t make it obvious on that page, slicer choices made on alternate pages still channel the information on the page.
7. Organization Slicers
Diverse organizing choices are accessible relying upon the Power BI slicer compose. By utilizing horizontal introduction, Responsive design, and Item shading, you can deliver catches or tiles as opposed to standard rundown things, and influence slicer things to resize to fit diverse screen sizes and formats.
- With the District Manager slicer chose on any page, in the Visualizations sheet, select the Format symbol to show the organizing controls.
- Select the drop-down bolts by every class to show and alter the alternatives.
a. General Choices
- Select red under Outline shading and change Outline weight to “2”. This sets the shading and thickness of the header and thing layouts or underlines when empowered.
- Under Orientation, Vertical is the default. Select Horizontal to create a slicer with on a level plane organized tiles or catches, and parchment bolts to get to things that don’t fit in the slicer.
- Turn on Responsive design to change the size and course of action of slicer things as indicated by viewscreen and slicer estimate. For list slicers, a responsive format is just accessible in even introduction and keeps things from being cut off on little screens. For run slider slicers, responsive organizing changes the style of the slider and gives more adaptable resizing. The two kinds of slicers move toward becoming channel symbols at little sizes.
Note – Responsive design changes may abrogate particular heading and thing arranging that you set.
- Set the slicer position and size with numeric exactness under X Position, Y Position, Width, and Height, or move and resize the slicer specifically on the canvas. Try different things with various thing sizes and courses of action, and note how the responsive designing changes appropriately.
See Create a responsive slicer you can resize in Power BI for additional about the flat introduction and responsive format.
8. Choice Controls Alternatives
- Show Select All is Off as a matter of course. Swing it to On to add a Select All thing to the slicer that chooses or deselects all things when flipped. At the point when all things were chosen, clicking or tapping one thing deselects it, permitting an “isn’t”- type channel.
- Single Select is On naturally. Clicking or tapping everything chooses it, and holding down the Ctrl key while clicking or tapping chooses various things. Turn Single Select to Off to permit choosing numerous things without holding down the Ctrl key. Clicking or tapping everything again deselects it.
a. Header Choices
The Header is On as a matter of course, demonstrating the information field name at the highest point of the slicer.
- Organization the header content to influence the Font to shade red, Text estimate 14 pt, and Font family Arial Black.
- Under Outline, pick Bottom just to deliver an underline with the size and shading that you set under General choices.
b. Thing Choices
- Configuration thing content and foundation to influence the Font to shade dark, Background light red, Text estimate 10 pt, and Font family Arial.
- Under Outline, pick Frame to draw an outskirt around everything with the size and shading you set under General choices.
Tip – With Orientation > Horizontal, deselected things demonstrate the picked content and foundation hues, while chose things to utilize the framework default, typically dark foundation with white content.
With Orientation > Vertical, things dependably demonstrate the set hues, and choice boxes are constantly dark when chosen.
Date/numeric sources of info and Slider alternatives (go slider slicers as it were)
- Date/numeric info alternatives are the same as the Item choices for list slicers, with the exception of there is no Outline or underline.
- Slider alternatives enable you to set the shade of the range slider. Kill the slider to, leaving just the numeric information sources.
Other designing alternatives
The other designing alternatives are off of course. At the point when turned On:
- Title: Adds and configurations a title (notwithstanding and free of the header) at the highest point of the slicer.
- Foundation: Adds a foundation shading to the general slicer and sets its straightforwardness.
- Bolt angle: Retains the state of the slicer in the event that resizes.
- Outskirt: Adds a 1-pixel fringe around the slicer and sets its shading. (This Power BI slicer outskirt is separate from and unaffected by the General Outline settings.)
So, this was all about Power BI Tutorial. Hope you like our explanation.
Hence, in this Power BI tutorial, we learned how to Utilize & Create Power BI Slicer. In addition, we studied visuals are affected by slicers and sync and use slicers on other pages. At last, we covered how to format slicers in Power BI. Furthermore, if you have any query, feel free to ask in the comment.
Related Topic – Power BI Funnel Charts