Types of Filters in Power BI – Edit View in Power BI Filter Pane
Keeping you updated with latest technology trends, Join DataFlair on Telegram
In our last session, we studied Power BI Data Category. Here, in this Power BI Filter Tutorial, we are going to explore different types of filters in Power BI, on the basis of content field filters and date and time filters in Power BI. Moreover, we will discuss how to work with the report filters pane, and open the Power BI Filters pane. Along with this, we will cover how to clear & add filters in Power BI.
So, let’s start Filters in Power BI.
2. Filters in Power BI
In Power BI benefit, reports can open in Editing perspective or Reading view. In Editing view, and in Desktop Report see, report proprietors can add filters to a report and those Power BI filters are spared with the report. Individuals seeing the report in Reading perspective can associate with the filters in Power BI and spare their progressions, yet can’t add new filters to the report.
Do you know How to Add Power BI Filter in Report & Types of Filters
In Power BI benefit, reports hold any progressions you make in the Filters pane, and those progressions are helped through to the portable form of the report. To reset the Filter sheet to the maker defaults, select Reset to default from the best menubar.
3. Open the Power BI Filters Pane
At the point when a report is open, the Filters sheet shows along the correct side of the report canvas. On the off chance that you don’t see the sheet, select the bolt in the upper right corner to grow it. On the off chance that you are in Power BI benefit Reading view, the mainsheet accessible on the correct side is the Filters sheet.
In this case, we’ve chosen a visual that has 6 filters. The report page likewise has filters in Power BI, recorded under the Page level filters heading. There is one Drillthrough filter, and the whole report has a filter as well: FiscalYear is 2013 or 2014.
A portion of the Power BI filters have the word All by them and this implies all qualities are being incorporated into the filter.
For instance, Chain(All) in the screen capture beneath discloses to us that this report page incorporates information about all the store chains. Then again, the report level filter of FiscalYear is 2013 or 2014 discloses to us that the report just incorporates information for the financial long stretches of 2013 and 2014.
Let’s know about How to Share Power BI Dashboard – Outside Organization/Clients
- Anybody seeing this report can connect with these filters in Power BI.
- View the subtle elements of the filter by drifting and choosing the bolt by the filter.
- Change the Power BI filter, for instance, change Lindseys to Fashions Direct.
- Reset the filters to their unique state by choosing Reset to default from the best menubar.
- Erase the filter by choosing the x beside the filter name.
- Erasing a filter expels it from the rundown yet does not erase the information from the report. For instance, on the off chance that you erase the FiscalYear is 2013 or 2014 filter, monetary year information will even now stay in the report however it will never again filter to demonstrate just 2013 and 2014; it will demonstrate every financial year the information contains. Nonetheless, once you erase the filter, you won’t have the capacity to change it again since it is expelled from the rundown. A superior alternative is to clear the filter by choosing the eraser symbol.
5. Power BI Filters in Editing View
At the point when a report is open in Desktop or in Power BI benefit Editing view, the Filters sheet shows along the correct side of the report canvas in the base portion of the Visualization sheet. On the off chance that you don’t see the sheet, select the bolt in the upper right corner to grow it.
Read about Power BI DAX Basics in detail
On the off chance that no visual is chosen in the canvas, at that point the Filters sheet shows only the filters that apply to the whole report page or whole report, and any drillthrough filters (if any have been set). In the case underneath, no visual is chosen and there are no page level or drillthrough filters yet there is a report-level filter in Power.
In the event that a visual is chosen in the canvas, you will likewise observe the filters that apply to only that visual:
To show alternatives for a specific filter, select the down bolt by the filter name. In the case beneath, the report level. A filter is set to 2013 and 2014. Furthermore, this is a case of fundamental filtering. To show the propelled alternatives, select Advanced Filtering.
Do you know how can we work with Table in Power BI Dashboards and Reports
6. How to Clear & Add Filters in Power BI
a. Clear the Power BI Filter
In either progressed or fundamental filtering mode, select the eraser symbol to clear the filters in Power BI.
b. Add the Power BI Filter
Follow this steps to add Filters in Power BI:
- In Desktop and in Power BI benefit Editing view, add a filter to a visual, page, drillthrough, or report by choosing a field from the Fields sheet and hauling it into the suitable filter well, where you see the words Drag fields here. Once a field has been included as a filter, tweak it utilizing the Basic filtering and Advanced filtering controls (portrayed underneath).
- Hauling another field into the Visual level filter zone does not add that field to the visual, but rather it allows you to filter the visual with this new field. In the case beneath, Chain is added as another filter to the visual. Notice that essentially including Chain as a filter does not change the visual until the point when you utilize the Basic or Advanced filtering controls.
- Every one of the fields that are utilized to make a perception is likewise accessible as filters. To begin with, select a visual to make it dynamic. The fields that are being utilized as a part of the visual are recorded in the Visualizations sheet and in the Filters sheet under the Visual level filters heading.
Adjust any of these fields utilizing the Basic filtering and Advanced filtering controls (depicted beneath).
7. Types of Filters in Power BI
We are going to discuss three categories of Types of Filters in Power BI, let’s discuss them one by one:
a. Content Field Filters in Power BI
i. Rundown mode
Ticking a checkbox either chooses or deselects the esteem. The All checkbox can utilize to flip the condition of all checkboxes on or off. The checkboxes speak to all the accessible qualities for that field. As you modify the filter, the rehashing updates to mirror your decisions.
Note how the rehashing currently says “is Amarilla or Carretera”
ii. Propelled Mode
Select Advanced Filtering to change to cutting edge mode. Utilize the drop-down controls and content boxes to recognize which fields to incorporate. By picking amongst and additionally, you can fabricate complex filter articulations. Select the Apply Filter catch when you’ve set the qualities you need.
b. Numeric Field Filters in Power BI
i. Rundown Mode
On the off chance that the qualities are limited, choosing the field name shows a rundown. See Text field filters > List mode above for help utilizing checkboxes.
Let’s explore Power BI and Excel Integration – With Existing Dashboard
ii. Propelled Mode
In the event that the qualities are interminable or speak to a range, choosing the field name opens the propelled filter mode. Utilize the drop-down and content boxes to determine a scope of qualities that you need to see.
By picking amongst and or potentially, you can construct complex filter articulations. Select the Apply Filter catch when you’ve set the qualities you need.
c. Date and Time Filters in Power BI
i. Rundown Mode
In the event that the qualities are limited, choosing the field name shows a rundown. See Text field filters > List mode above for help utilizing checkboxes.
ii. Propelled Mode
In the event that the field esteems speak to date or time, you can determine a begin/end time when utilizing Date/Time filters in Power BI.
So, this was all about Power BI Filter Tutorial. Hope you like our explanation.
Hence, in this Power BI Filter tutorial, we learned types of filters in Power BI, on the basis of content field filters and date and time filters in Power BI. In addition, we discussed how to work with the report filters pane, and open the Power BI Filters pane. Still, you have a query, feel free to share with us.
Related Topic – Power BI Slicer