Create Tic Tac Toe Game App in Android Studio
Learn how to create Tic Tac Toe Android game
In this article, we’ll see how we can develop a simple Tic Tac Toe android app. So, we’ll see a brief about this game and then we’ll move immediately towards the implementation.
Do you want to become an Android Professional? Join Android Telegram Channel
About Tic Tac Toe project?
Tic Tac Toe android app is a good project for beginners, this is a two player game, where each player will get a chance one after the other. This game will be having a grid of 3 X 3 with a total of 9 cells. The players are supposed to fill each cell alternatively. The Player one would need to fill the cell with ‘X’and the player will use ‘O’ to fill the cells. Our application will have the following things in its interface:
- It will have a grid with 9 boxes or cells.
- It will display who’s turn it is
- Then it’ll have the Restart button. This button can help the player to restart the game at any time they like.
- Once the game is over the app will declare who lost the game. If no one wins, it will declare that it was a draw match.
Prerequisites for development of Tic Tac Toe game?
So, this android application game will be developed using the Android Studio. To develop any Android application in Android Studio, you would definitely need good hands of following tools / technologies:
- Java: Knowledge of Java Programming is required to develop the android application in Android Studio. Java programming plays a very important role because we will develop our applications in using it
- XML: XML is the second important part of our android application. It will be used for the development of the user interface for the application
- Android Studio: Android Studio is the backbone of our application, as we will develop our app using Android Studio.
- Android Virtual Device: The knowledge of Android Virtual Devices is important as it will let us check and test the functionality of our application before installing it on a real device.
Developing the Tic Tac Toe Game
Ok, so before getting to implement the game directly we’ll understand the files that we have created for this application. Let us see them one by one-
- The first file that we have created is activity_main.xml, this file has the layout of the Tic Tac Toe board. Through this, we manage the interface of the Android Application.
- The next important file is the MainActivity.java file. This file makes the application actually work. It has all the methods that make functioning in the app possible.
- Then we have developed some other files that were required for the interface of application that are listed below:
- style.xml: This file has the description of cells for Tic Tac Toe board. It has height and width with the text size and colors described
- colors.xml: This file has the colors described so it would be easy to mention the color name to recognize it
- strings.xml: This describes the list of strings that are used in the application
- dimens.xml: This has the dimension of grid of our Tic Tac Toe android game.
Download Project Source Code
Now, for the actual implementation of the game, please download the project code: Android Tic Tac Toe Project Source Code
Once you have downloaded the Tic Tac Toe project, you can proceed with the following steps:
1. Once the project is downloaded and you need to extract it in the desired file location. Open the source code zip file and extract:
2. Once you have extracted the file, please follow the steps to import the project in your Android Studio.
3. Now once the project is extracted, you are ready to execute the Tic Tac Toe project. Upon running the app we’ll find the result as follows:
3.1. This is our application
3.2. Let us play tic tac toe:
3.3. Once the game is over or even in between we can restart the game:
So guys we have finished the development of Tic Tac Toe Game project. In this tutorial, we first saw details about the project then prerequisites. After discussing the required files we started the development of game. We hope and wish you liked it and enjoyed it. We wish you all the very best for your Android Journey. Thank You.