Cloud Storage – Infrastructure, Encryption, Data Protection Process
Earlier we discussed 7 Unique Challenges of Cloud Computing. Here, we will open a new chapter called Cloud Storage. It is a service model in which the online data is stored.
Here, we will learn types, risk, advantages of Cloud Storage. Moreover, we will study infrastructure, encryption and data protection process.
So, are you ready for Cloud Storage Tutorial?
Stay updated with latest technology trends
Join DataFlair on Telegram!!
What is Data Storage?
Data storage is a type of digital data storage where the data stores in the digital format and kept at the logical pools. The storage system completely maintains by the storage provider. The storage services provided by them are available every time and can access remotely.
The data stored is secured and can be accessed by few. The environment provided is secure and flexible the companies can buy or rent the storage and can allow an applicant to use it.
What is Cloud Storage?
Cloud storage is a service model in which the online data stores. The company that owns data stores and further maintained, managed, and secured by the cloud provider only. The cloud customer charge for their data storage on as you go basis which is monthly.
Cloud storage has great benefits as it is easily accessible and reliable, it has rapid deployment along with flexible data backup and recovery options.
Types of Cloud Storage
- Public Cloud
- Private Cloud
- Hybrid Cloud
i. Public Cloud
Public cloud storage is basically compatible with unstructured data. It provides a multi-tenant storage environment. Here, the data store in multiple data centres and can access across multiple regions for continents. The cloud storage providers completely manage the public cloud storage.
ii. Private Cloud
Private cloud is mostly compatible with the customers you need to customize their control over their data. Here, the enterprise and the cloud storage providers combine the data centre to serve the customer better.
iii. Hybrid Cloud
Hybrid cloud is a combination of private and personal cloud which can modify as per the demand. It provides more flexibility to the customer and has more data deployment options.
Hybrid cloud is suitable for both small and large sector organizations. It is accessible from anywhere and can provide numerous amount of benefits to the customer.
Advantages of Cloud Storage
- Cloud services are accessible from anywhere and can access anytime. This leads to the fact that cloud storage services are user-friendly and provides much flexibility to the customers.
- It secures as the data can store on the second party and third party server rather than using an external storage device. As the data stores at multiple places so there is no chance of data crash as it can retrieve from other places.
- Using cloud storage services is economical as the customer has to pay on pay as you go basis such that the customer is only charged for what they are used. Moreover, there are no upfront costs.
- Using cloud storage services eliminates the burden of maintaining the server as it is done by the Cloud Service Provider. This saves both cost and time.
Cloud Storage Risk
- Loss or damage of the data by the service provider
- Hacking or viruses which may affect the data can cause harm
- Unauthorized access
- Security not up to date
Cloud storage has an infrastructure which bases on the principle of virtualization in Cloud Computing. Virtualization eliminates the hardware by utilizing the single hardware and making many virtual separations of it.
Its infrastructure is elastic, scalable, and multi-tenant. With the help of proper tools, the whole infrastructure can manage and information can store and retrieve easily.
With the help of ID and password, the whole content can retrieve from anywhere and at any time. In addition, there are proper security measures which authenticate the whole process of uploading and downloading.
The applications here uses object storage protocol which is the reason the customers are backing up their data to the cloud.
What are the Precautions to Protect the Data?
Here, is a list of precautions which can use to protect the data:
- The processing of personal data should be secure even if the processing carry anywhere.
- The security provided should be of high level and there should be a proper agreement for that so that the data must remain secure.
- The functionality and the continuity of the service should maintain in a proper way.
- The data should be provision and the continuous monitoring should be done.
Data Protection Process
The process of data protection consists of various techniques such as backup, recovery, disaster recovery and, many others. One should keep in mind that if a vendor and the customer define issues and process it differently the service may not be as per the requirement.
The data which store in the drive should have a backup at several different places so that disaster takes place the data can retrieve from the different place.
There is a term business continuity which consists of operational recovery and disaster recovery the definition of operational recovery is that it pertains to recovers from a specific problem at the primary site the specific problem can be server, application, and failure of any disk.
There are very less amount of recovery events which caused by a disaster. However, most of them are operational recoveries.
Services Provided by Cloud Data Protection
- Integrity- Here the old version of data and this data are same. Several encryption measures are taken which are useful to secure the data from some illegal editing and corruption.
- Infrastructure Security- There are several methods which are taken to ensure the security of the cloud infrastructure and make it flexible for the customers.
Encryption in Data Storage
There can be some hardships while implementing encryption. The problem can face due to key management and some other issues. Interview external encryption can cause hardships.
These hardships are quite different for the hybrid cloud. As the handling encryption may not be an issue the issues will be when the customer will move to public cloud.
There are three types of encryption in Cloud Storage
- Volume-based encryption
- Application specific encryption
- File encryption
Prevention of Data Loss
There are sensitive data which must monitor with the help of tools and it must confirm that the data recognized by the data based on string matching.
DLP required for a number of technologies and many processes to become effective there should be a policy through which the creation and implementation of infrastructure will work to push the policy to monitor DLP this tool should also inspect traffic on network traffic and critical host system alike.
In addition, response measures should be implemented to take the action when some problem is detected.
So, this was all about Cloud Storage Tutorial. Hope you liked our explanation.
Data storage and its protection are one of the important aspects as there are a number of vendors which offer products that simplify cloud-based data. The key management and role-based access define locally and these are the steps taken before moving the data to the cloud.
So it is proved that the data storage can access with the help of web service application programming interface all application that utilized API. This API can be a cloud desktop, a cloud storage gateway or, web-based content management systems.
Still, have a query? Feel free to approach us through comment box.