Learn SQL Database Tuning Tutorial – Factors
In this tutorial, we will look at what is database tuning and why do we need to do it. Moving forward we will learn some tips and tricks on why we need database tuning and how can we ace it.
Let us now understand more about database tuning and the tips and tricks for the same.
What is Database Tuning?
Database tuning is the step or set of different activities which are performed mostly by the DBA i.e. Database Administrator or in some cases the developers too.
With the help of tuning the database, we can easily keep our database in a manageable state and perform various tasks easily and with increased efficiency and accuracy.
In simple words, we can say that by using tuning we make sure that the queries run in the lowest time possible hence increasing the overall throughput of our database.
Let us now move ahead and understand the requirements of Database Tuning.
Stay updated with latest technology trends
Join DataFlair on Telegram!!
Why do we need Database Tuning?
As we all know we mostly use databases in organizations and institutions which deal with large chunks of data. When the data is large, the size of the database also increases proportionally.
Hence, with the help of fine-tuning of the database we can easily increase the efficiency and at the same time enhance the working capacity.
With tuning of databases, we can help other resources function efficiently as the time required for the result from our database decreases significantly.
Thus, when we tweak our database and maintain the fine-tuning it not only enhances the working of the database alone but instead improves other resources being utilized efficiently.
Tips and Tricks for Database Tuning
Some of the famous tips and tricks to tune our database are as follows:
- Always store the data in 3NF normalized form.
- The database should be created after understanding and studying the business requirements in detail.
- Always use column names in the query instead of the (*), this enhances the query result time and significantly decreases the run time of the query.
- We should avoid performing join operations on the database using the Where clause. Instead, the built-in Join keywords should be used.
- One should avoid using the Distinct keyword in the query as it is inaccurate and inefficient. It can lead to loss of data as we can have two different records with the same name.
- When we need to apply filters to our database one should use Where clause instead of having clause.
- We should use the wildcards at the end of the query to increase the efficiency and decrease the run time of our query.
- We should always use the Limit keyword to keep a check on the number of rows in the result.
- One should always avoid using loops in the query as it increases the complexity of the query.
- We should avoid using the OR logical operator as it slows down the query substantially.
In this tutorial, we have seen how to manage and increase the efficiency of our database. We have understood what Database tuning is and how we can achieve the most out of it.
Then moving further we have seen various tips and tricks on how to increase efficiency and decrease the costs of the resources.
Most of the tuning tips aim at reducing the query time hence increasing the efficiency. We should ensure that we follow the tuning tips to increase the throughput of our database.