UPSC Exam 2021 Dates, Eligibility, Exam Pattern And Syllabus
Are you ready for UPSC Exam? Check your preparation with Free UPSC Mock Test
The Civil Service Examination is an annual competitive exam for hiring civil service officers. The Union Public Service Commission holds this examination in three phases – The Preliminary Exam – Objective type, Mains Exam – Subjective and lastly an interview.
The exam is inspired by British era Imperial Civil Service tests. It is the most difficult exam in the country. Every year more than 5,00,000 candidates appear for this exam. The prelims usually take place in October with final results coming out in may end.
Do you want to crack UPSC in first attempt? Join UPSC Telegram Channel
The Schedule for UPSC exam 2021 is –
|UPSC Notification 2021||10 February 2021|
|Last date for receipt of online forms||2 March 2021|
|IAS Exam – Prelims 2021||27 June 2021|
|IAS Exam Mains 2021||17 September 2021|
|Interview 2021||April/May 2022 (tentative)|
|Final Results 2021||May/ August 2022 (tentative)|
Eligibility for UPSC Exams 2021
Nationality for UPSC Exam 2021
- For IAS and IPS, the candidate has to be an Indian citizen.
- For other exams, candidates can be –
- A citizen of Nepal or Bhutan,
- Tibetan refugee settled in India before 1962,
- A person of Indian origin who has migrated from Pakistan, Myanmar, Sri Lanka, Kenya, Uganda, Tanzania, Zambia, Malawi, Zaire, Ethiopia or Vietnam.
- A graduation degree from a registered Institution.
- Candidates have to provide a proof of this in order to appear for the exam.
Age Limit for UPSC Exam 2021
- General Category – 21 years to 32 years
- SC/ST – 21 years to 37 years
- OBC – 21 years to 35 years
- Public works department – 21 years to 35 years
- Disabled Defence Services Personnel – 21 years to 40 years
- Domiciles of JK – 21 years to 32 years
Number of Attempts
- General Category – 6 attempts
- SC/ST – Unlimited
- OBC – 9 attempts
UPSC Exams Pattern 2021
UPSC Preliminary Exam 2021
- It consists of Multiple Choice Questions.
- There is negative marking in only this exam. It is ⅓ of allotted marks to particular questions.
- It has 2 papers – General Ability Test I and General Ability Test II with a time limit of 2 hours each.
- The first one has 100 questions revolving around General Knowledge topics with total 200 marks.
- The second paper is more towards logical reasoning and communication skills.
- The minimum score should be 33% to qualify for the next exam.
UPSC Mains Exam 2021
- It has 9 papers in total of descriptive type with a time limit of 3 hours each.
- The first two are of 300 marks and the rest are of 250 marks.
- The papers are:
- Indian language Paper
- General Studies I – Indian history and heritage with geography of the world.
- General Studies II – Indian Polity and international relations
- General Studies III – Technology and Science
- General Studies IV – Aptitude and Ethics
- Optional Paper I
- Optional Paper II
- The last two papers are selected by the candidate according to their subject choice.
- The candidate who passes this exam will go for the final interview.
Personality Test – Interview
- Only 1 -2 % of the total candidates reach till here.
- It takes place in UPSC Bhawan, Delhi.
- The questions are asked about the candidate’s interests, current affairs, general knowledge, and situation based questions.
- This is to evaluate a candidate’s personality and critical thinking.
- The final score only looks at the mains exam and the personality test. The prelims are only for screening.
UPSC Exam 2021 Application Process
- Visit the official UPSC website
- Go on Register Now
- Pay the Application Fees
- Choose your nearest Center
- Upload your Photograph and Signature
- Agree to Declaration
List of All Government Service Exams
All India Services
- Indian Administrative Service
- Indian Police Service
Central Services – Group A
- Indian Foreign Service
- Indian Audit and Accounts Service
- Indian Civil Accounts Service
- Indian Corporate Law Service
- Indian Defence Accounts Service
- Indian Defence Estates Service
- Indian Information Service
- Indian Ordnance Factories Service
- Indian Postal Service
- Indian P&T Accounts and Finance Service
- Indian Railway Accounts Service
- Indian Railway Personnel Service
- Indian Railway Protection Force Service
- Indian Railway Traffic Service
- Indian Revenue Service
- Indian Revenue Service
- Indian Trade Service
Group B Services
- Armed Forces Headquarters Civil Services
- Delhi, Andaman and Nicobar Islands Civil Service
- Delhi, Andaman and Nicobar Islands Police Service
- Pondicherry Civil Service
- Pondicherry Police Service
This article will brief you completely about UPSC exams of 2021. It covers the eligibility, application process, exam pattern and the names of other government exams. In order to appear for this exam, it is important to know the basic structure of it.
If you are someone who is planning to appear for this exam then this article will definitely help you make the decision.