What is Hadoop file system?

Viewing 1 reply thread
  • Author
      DataFlair TeamDataFlair Team
      Spectator

What is the File system for Hadoop?

DataFlair TeamDataFlair Team
      Spectator

HDFS (Hadoop Distributed File System) – is the file system for Hadoop. It is the storage layer for Hadoop (most popular storage system on the planet)

In order to manage data on the computer, one has to interact with the File System directly or indirectly.In general let us understand, how file system helps us:

Say we have two copy of one book, one is in the form of a pile of random papers and another one is in the form of organized book.

Suppose your father asked you and your sibling to look at chapter 7, page 457 (say book have 10 chapters and 600 pages) what do you think who will search faster ? of course, the person who looks into the organized book rather than piles of random papers.

This is the role of the file system on our computer.

When we install Apache Hadoop on computer, two file system exists on machine
      (1) Local File System, (2) HDFS (Hadoop Distributed File System)

HDFS sits on the top of Local File System. HDFS has distributed view of Hadoop cluster i.e. HDFS has features like Replication Factor, Fault Tolerance, High Availability due to the distributed view. Following are the general functions of File System (be it Local or HDFS)

– Control the data access mechanism (i.e how data stored and retrived)
      – Manages the metadata about the Files / Folders (i.e. created date, size etc)
      – Grants the access permission and manage the securities
      – Efficiently manage the storage space

Following are the local File System of the different operating system:

Windows: NTFS (New Technology File System)
      Linux : ext3 / ext4
      Mac : HFS / HFS+ / APFS (Apple File System)

For more details about HDFS, please refer: 
      http://data-flair.training/blogs/comprehensive-hdfs-guide-introduction-architecture-data-read-write-tutorial/

Viewing 1 reply thread
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.